Fielding International, a global leader in school design and a Certified Benefit Corporation™, is looking to hire a full-time Associate Learning Designer to support schools adopting student-centered and learning-progressive pedagogies in Michigan and the surrounding region.
This posting is advertising a position for a 40 hours per week employee with benefits. The salary is $65k-85k/year commensurate with experience.
This is a Hybrid/Remote Position that will require on-site work in and around Ann Arbor, Detroit, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids, Michigan with multiple days of engagement per week. It is highly recommended that you live in or near Michigan, and are comfortable with travel including consecutive overnight stays away from home multiple times per month.
We believe that a diverse range of perspectives and experiences within our team is essential to supporting the school and communities we work with and encourage those from historically underrepresented communities to apply.
What You Will Be Doing
Your first project will be supporting Ann Arbor Public Schools in their initiative to design schools that are aligned with their vision for high quality teaching and learning practices, now and in the future. You will:
- Work with building leaders and educators in a consultative role who are envisioning learning environments that will accommodate collaborative, student-centered, and interdisciplinary/transdisciplinary teaching and learning practices
- Lead engagement workshops with district/school staff and stakeholders to create coherence and clarity about the intent of new school designs and features
- Explore the integration of new technologies and learning management systems to help educators and students enhance and personalize learning experiences and pathways
- Develop presentation material, engagement strategies, and survey instruments
- Code or analyze data, and create visual reports to document processes and decisions
- Coordinate and communicate with other project team members to ensure the design and development of new schools and programs and physical environments are aligned
- Work directly with schools and school districts in-person 2-4 days per week, approximately two times per month
- Work as an integrated team with Fielding’s architectural designers to develop conceptual environmental design in alignment with educational practices and vision.
Beyond this scope, you will also work with Fielding’s Learning Designers to shape your own role and expertise that supports firm-wide efforts and adapts to your own capacity, skills, and interests, all in the pursuit of designing and supporting schools where learners thrive. Your role will involve supporting clients in the Fielding International family of schools predominantly in the midwest (especially Michigan’s lower peninsula initially) as they seek to improve and sustain quality practices related to student-centered pedagogy, integration of student services, supporting learner and staff well-being, and making school a joyful experience.
In addition to these roles and responsibilities, Fielding International Designers contribute to teams that focus on two key concentrations of work:
- Education and Learning Design Services
- Design and facilitate mission, vision, and strategic planning engagements to help schools build or refine a shared understanding of their desired future
- Conduct visioning workshops to identify preferred conditions and experiences that exemplify a school’s vision for learning
- Provide consultation to district leaders as they identify adaptive challenges and lead or implement changes in their communities
- Establish and support communities of practice for the continuous development of educator skills and abilities related to new pedagogies and flexible learning environments. Often, work is centered around high quality professional learning community practices, project-based learning, place-based education, and other similar curricular or pedagogical approaches.
- Learning Environment Design
- Develop and facilitate interactive stakeholder engagements with schools and districts that are designing new learning environments to understand the unique qualities and needs of the communities in which they are located
- Analyze and synthesize data from multiple sources to develop summaries that clearly communicate a school’s intent for desired educational practices and environmental design concepts
- Observe, review, and recommend shifts in educational practices to align teaching and learning practices with stated mission, strategic priorities, and new learning environments
- Collaborate with architects and designers in creating the ideal physical environments and conditions for learning
Qualifications and Expertise
You must have experience planning and implementing student-centered pedagogies in a K-12 school environment.
You may have experience coaching and mentoring educators at any level of school operations.
You may have experience teaching and learning in a learning community setting where educators are collaborating to benefit the learning outcomes of all students in a school.
You may have expertise with graphic design, user-experience design, learning design, and presentation development.
You may have expertise with technology integration in learning environments and learning experiences to support high quality instructional practices.You may have expertise organizing and designing learning environments including furniture, features, resources and other classroom elements to optimize the conditions for students to succeed.
40 hours per week, full-time employee
This position starts with an annual salary of $65,000 – $85,000 commensurate with experience along with comprehensive benefits that include: medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, a wellness reimbursement program, and paid time off.
How to Apply
In your email or within attachments, please provide the following:
- A description of your experiences with facilitating engagements for multi-stakeholder groups, especially in context of vision, mission, strategy, and change initiatives
- A description of your experience with learning-community-based and collaborative teaching and learning school models
- Descriptions of your key experiences aligned with the qualifications outlined above
- A resume highlighting your professional experiences and qualifications
Fielding International provides employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or veteran status and bases all employment decisions only on valid job requirements.